Sunday, February 17, 2013

Change agent

Briefly explain what transformative teaching and learning means to you and how you see your teaching working towards change (for your students, your peers, your community, yourself ..

For me the biggest change started 3 years ago when I was tired of teaching and there were less to discover any more.. thankfully I was wrong:)
What happened 3 years ago was that Microsoft looked me up with my little project about internet safety and floated me around the world: England, Germany, South/Afrika, Seattle (USA) and EU Commission Denmark, Sweden, Belgium. For me it is important to see and hear what others are doing as in my country I have reached the level of competence as many of us innovative teachers and educational technologist. TO TRAVEL and SEE what OTHERS DO is most importance in transforming learning&teaching.

My school and coworkers are in a top level in the world in my mind when I look around that is happening in the world. They have best boss and almost best environment regarding computers and internet and freedom to use it. They also travel, participate in programs and I am happy that they see thru that what is really important in changing and learning. We have long way still to walk, but they are not beginners in that field. Leading of changing is my school principal and others support it. So it is a TEAMWORK! Without support nothing will happen.

Innovative teaching for me is empowering students, listening the voice and guiding it like national curricula asks us to do. I like that our newest curricula is almost the future that I see in my mind - no special subjects, rather than areas of teaching. ICT curricula was they way as I teach as I was also part of the development group. I like that it all is developed bottom up and with experts. Understand the curricula and make it your own. 

Teacher is not alone in the class as experts must be also be involved, sharing and cooperation should be present in everyday classroom. Students have responsibility and teachers are mentors in that way. The problem is as in everywhere in the world - why innovation does not leap from class to class? At the same time I see that it is about organization culture as some schools present co-teaching and idea leaping, we call it innovative schools.  INCLUDE EXPERTS and OTHER TEACHERS, schools.

I also like to visit other schools, I call it spying as I get much out of it for my school. CELEBRATE what OTHERS have doing and share BEST PRACTICES.

I get exited when I share ideas and people share theirs. GET EXITED about THAT YOU DO! Others will follow.


Lesson that I have not yet learned is when to REST and not be a part of everything. To know when to say NO it is important, but I do not have the skill for it (in my real life). When I am abroad then it is in the other way.. I do not have these kind of issues and I know how to enjoy life..

So there is still a question.. how to manage work and work related hobbies in the way that health does not suffer? Maybe the answer is to let go things I love go or change career (maybe not work for 2-3 years to think things over), at the same time it is sad because I am too good in that I do.. and then in that "free thinking time" I will get so much hobbies and doings and I potentially end up in a same place. I think it runs in a family as grandparents and other relatives are the same...

So I do not have answer how to develop professional way and not run yourself to death with doing that:) 



Some words about community - we have very critical state for now in that field as salary and work peace. Lot of good teachers are considering not to stay teachers any more or just leave to work somewhere else e.g.. Finland. As people are poor then they cannot do much to support teachers and it all moves into a not so good social crisis that will effect future generation a lot. 

At the same time all depends whom to compare - western culture and area it seems they are doing a lot better, but in the developing countries sense it could be lot worse. 



For students it is sharing responsibility and give options to fail. School is the place where to learn life and make mistakes. Also humans tend to learn more from mistakes rather than success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment